The 2020-2021 Academic Year
July 31, 2020
Dear Gowanda CSD Community,
I’m incredibly excited to soon welcome everyone back for the start of the 2020-21 school year! Although the school year promises to be unusual, it is great to start with some normalcy and routine. We’re all delighted that we are permitted to have some level of in-person instruction for our students. I hope that Governor Cuomo confirms permission to return to in-person instruction as we’ve planned in his promised announcement the first week of August. And, if possible and safe, begin returning to all in-person instruction, every day, at some point this school year.
On this website you should find all of the information you most need about our reopening plan.
Principals are working on individualized information for you and your family, like which group are we, A or B, or blue or white? Counselors are busy completing individual student class schedules. This information will be forthcoming in the second and third weeks of August, or sooner if possible.
I’ve heard from parents who are concerned about sending their children back to in-person instruction. I truly hope you’ll see from reading the plan that we’ve taken every possible precaution to bring back our students and staff in the safest possible way. Your child’s health and safety are our #1 priority.
It’s important that we all work together for the mutual benefit of a safe, healthy school environment. Please stress the importance of these simple actions with your children, as that will reinforce what we’re teaching at school.
- Have your child wear a face covering at home to help him or her become comfortable in the mask. Help them to understand that wearing a mask is mandatory at school.
- Please stress and practice the importance of proper hand hygiene. Frequent, thorough hand washing is an easy to do, yet incredibly effective method to prevent the spread of germs.
- Social distancing is required. Talk about what six feet apart looks like, especially with our youngest students.
- Our children model our behavior from us: If you exhibit a positive attitude and confidence, your child will feel good about the return to school. Likewise, if you exhibit your own feelings of worry and fear, you will likely raise a fearful child.
- Most of all, please monitor your children on a daily basis and keep them home if they exhibit symptoms.
If we can all consistently follow these simple actions, returning to “normal” with daily in-person instruction likely will happen sooner than later.
In the meantime, you will be hearing from me, our principals and your children’s teachers often throughout this school year. We are partners always and through this event, and we want the very best for our students. Please feel free to contact me at any time with your questions at 532-3325 ext:6300 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Bob Anderson
Superintendent of Schools
Gowanda Central School District
(716) 532-3325, ext. 6300